New Town and Lenah Valley Anglican has a
heritage of 180 years of ministry in our community beginning with the
opening of St John’s, New Town, in 1835.
St James, New
Town, was also established as part of the Parish of St John in 1916 in response to new
housing development around Augusta Road and the development of the tram service
to Lenah Valley. This became the
independent parish of St James the Apostle in 1919.
Ministry in Lenah Valley (previously called Kangaroo
Valley) commenced when the Kangaroo Valley
Mission Church began to meet in 1895. This congregation continued until 1934. Initially
it was part of St John’s, New Town, and from 1919 part of the newly-formed St
James parish. After World War II the Lenah Valley Anglican community began
meeting in the Community Hall. The Church of St Andrew in Lenah Valley
was opened in 1961 as part of the Parish of St James which subsequently became St James and
St Andrew in 2001.
On 1 July
2013 the two Anglican parishes in New Town and Lenah Valley were reunited to form a
In December 2016 St Andrew's moved to rejoin with St James congregation.